Wednesday, 27 October 2010

A new beginning

I really should have started this when I started my life at Plymouth university four weeks ago, but I guess now is as good a time as any!

Okay so i'm currently doing a four year course for "Digital Art & Technology", in which I am in the first year. The main problem was the constant change of times for myself having to wake up for the bus and train journey to the university. With all the prices added up though, it's a far cheaper option for me, so going to uni this way instead of living there works out alot cheaper for me.

I really only started blogging properly last week, it's hard to catch up with what hasn't been documented, but once it's done things are alot easier to keep up to date. I decided to create separate blogs to allow things to be more organised by having each module being assigned a separate blog, so that I can easily look back at work which has been done, without the confusion of wondering which blog posts are for which module.

Some work I have done/things figured out over the past few weeks:

I've bought some new headphones for the train journies, as my current ones have begun to change colour and fall apart. They are the Monster Beats Tour in-ear headphones by Dr Dre, They give you about seven different sets of earbuds, but the problem is finding one which doesn't slip out of your ears, and that you don't have to put right up your ears.

At work I was asked to complete a design for what would be a large printing order of around 500 clothing items to be printed. I needed to firstly; convert the image they had supplied into a vector format, and to then include text to go around the logo in a circle, or arched to display the name of the company, "Genetically enhanced by 100% health". Initially I didn't know how to do it, as I currently don't know alot with Adobe Illustrator. After some research however, I was able to figure it out, and it was quite simple.

You draw a circle shape, and then left-click and hold over the 'Text' icon in the tools tray. An option will then appear to apply the text around the path, which once selected and clicked onto the path/shape, you can then apply the text to wrap around it. Here's the finished outcome;


I have also purchased several books, which is something I wouldn't normally do. I bought these books so that I could learn the technical side of things better, and also to gain a better understanding. It cost alot, which to me is a big concern as I am still waiting for my student finance to come through! Hopefully it will arrive soon so that I can put the money back into my account and carry on saving for my 'Car funds' :-p

Here's a list of the books that I purchased;



Today me and Dale spent about three hours figuring out how to complete our assignment from Chris Saunders for the weekend out, as we had been taught the basics of it, but were unsure how to complete it. We needed to create a 'madlib', which is basically a question form, that takes the answers you give and puts them into a story, therefore personalising the story with information about yourself and any additional details that you include.

As far as we knew, the only way to create one was to create a set of forms, and then add a button that when clicked would take the information given and then put the words into specific areas within the story in another page, or section of the current. After finding a solution that worked, a second year student told us that to do what we had planned, it would require PhP, which we had not yet been introduced or taught. Our solution was to create a set of 'prompt' boxes, that would appear, asking the user to type in a set of data. This would then be read and inserted into the story, which thankfully worked. The three hours of stress was for a good cause!

Hopefully from now on i'll be able to keep things up to date and post regularly now that i've caught back up with my blogs. Shame that it's four weeks later than intended, and that what should have been about seven posts was turned into one, but it's up to date now!

Things left to do:
  • Find a webhost/domain
  • Wait for student finance to buy an Apple laptop
  • Make my own website (assignment)
  • Display my name on a page to express who I am (assignment)
  • Buy family their christmas presents with my beloved money!

No comments:

Post a Comment